Wednesday, June 07, 2006

England == India?

In my view, the English football team is similar to the Indian cricket team. Both teams look extremely strong on paper and the media never wastes an opportunity to spin up a frenzy about either team's chances. Rooney and Owen in the front, Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham in midfield, and John Terry, Rio Ferdinand and Sol Campbell at the back. Similar to how Dravid, Sachin, Ganguly and Laxman were hailed as the best middle order, the English team appears invincible based on the star value of its members. But, just like the Indian middle order that rarely fired in unison, I am skeptical about England's chances at the World Cup. I can't really put my finger on a particular reason for my pessimism. But, based on past experience, my hopes for England are not too high. There was similar hoopla about England in the last World Cup as well as during Euro 2004. And, on both occasions, the English challenge just fizzled out. If the scan of Rooney's foot tomorrow shows that he will be able to play (I believe at the earlier from the third match of the first round), I am sure the hype will be raised to another level. I am not certainly buying into the hype as yet ...

BTW, what the hell has Lara been smoking?!! To quote him:
At the end of the day, it's a sport you're playing and you got to trust the guy who you're playing against. There are situations where we can't come to a decision. Of course, it's left to the umpires. But if we can't back each other as a team, it doesn't say much for the sport. I just felt that the spirit of the game was being tested.
Let's make things clear. Dhoni says that Ganga himself told him that he wasn't sure whether his boots touched the ropes. And, there has been no statement from anyone contradicting this. Then, where the hell does the question of trust arise? The fielder himself is not sure whether the catch was legit, and Lara wants people to trust his guy! Either it must be really hot in the Caribbean, or it is time to put Lara through a doping test :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess sportsmen age much faster than others. Lara is turning senile before 40.

Apart from the 87 world cup, India never had a really strong team and I don't see much probs in us not winning a world cup since 83.

I'd definitely agree that Indian cricket and English soccer teams are massively overhyped.

BTW, I'd love to see Brazil win. Netherlands is my dark horse and I am predicting a Brazil-Italy final.
I desperately want France, England and Germany to lose.

Van Nistelrooy wins the Golden boot.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Harsha V. Madhyastha said...

Man, let's hope Italy does not make the final. Cannavaro and Nesta will kill the game.

Maintaining my constant support for the underdogs, I'm hoping one of the African or Asian teams makes it atleast to the semis. There's some hype around Ivory Coast, but looks like that's just because a few of their players play in the EPL!

My dark horse is Portugal. The "other" Ronaldo wins the Golden boot :)

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rooting for the underdogs is great and all, but only till quarters.
And, I especially don't want to see "underpuppies" in semis.

Brazil vs Togo or Italy vs Saudi Arabia will be unbearable to watch.

(Actually, wait a minute, Italy vs Saudi Arabia/Iran might be fun.
Christians vs Muslims, Pope's cartoon vs Mohammed's cartoon, Papparazzi vs Al-Jazeera, Osama vs Vito Corleone).

Yeah, Italians do make the game slow and physical, but they consistenly perform well at the big stage.

I like your Portugal pick. They have got an easy group and might face Netherlands in the 2nd stage :)

7:31 PM  
Blogger Be Alpsholic!! said...

Gt blog man!
Good analysis.

This is Rammohan- MS iit Madras under prof. csrm. I dont know whether u still remember me or not. I too worked in WDM at that time.

nramblog.blogspot.com

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home