Friday, June 02, 2006

I miss Sportstar

In the last couple of months, I've been repeating this to several of the Indians around me. I really miss Sportstar (yes, that weekly publication from the Hindu group; not any particular "sport start"). Cricinfo and the Sports page on Google News give me lots of info. But, there's no substitute for the coverage offered by Sportstar across a wide range of sports. It had news on everything ranging from cricket to kabaddi, and from golf to boxing. The range offered by Google News pales in comparison.

I'm really looking forward to reading the one and half year long backlog of Sportstar editions when I return home next month ...

Update: BTW, I found out that the Sportstar's articles are now available online. But, technology hasn't improved as much yet that browsing a website can replace scanning through a book :)

Also, was surprised to find an entry for Sportstar in Wikipedia. Sadly, the entry incorrectly claims that Sportstar covers only sports in India. Interestingly, the entry also claims Sportstar recently switched from being a magazine to a tabloid. Will have to wait till I get to India to find out more about this.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yup...i remember breaking my head over the crossword and also eagerly waiting to see whose poster would be included with the next edition...

I still have the entire poster collection neatly set aside back home.

In fact, not having cable, i got acquainted with sports like tennis, football etc only by reading the articles there

Sportstar was worth lot more than its 10Rs price tag back then :)

9:37 AM  
Blogger Harsha V. Madhyastha said...

I used to get my copy of the Sportstar from the library. So, in any issue, I used to get the poster only if I was the first person to borrow that issue. I used to be really sad whenever I missed out on the poster!

12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home