Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Sania Mania goes global

Sania Mirza has been named as WTA's newcomer of the year for the year 2005. Sadly, 2006 hasn't really taken off for her as yet. But, I guess that is to be expected after the out-of-the-world 2005 that she had. I haven't seen any of her matches this year. So, I am not sure if there has been any improvement in her game, especially her second serve. However, I was shocked a couple of days back when an ad on ESPN for the sports brand Lotto featured Sania as the lone model. I guess I missed the transition from Sania being hyped just in India to her becoming a global brand!

If the Indian cricket team continues to throw up dismal performances like yesterday, maybe India will produce many more top-ranked tennis players in the coming decade? ... huh, I'm sure if India wins the ODI series, all will be forgotten. Sad. But, true.

1 Comments:

Blogger Octa said...

Point to be noted here is that Sania Mirza is an Indian Muslim Girl - So thats like a triple whammy for advertisers. Thats why all the hype. She has not justified all the adulation she has recieved, and it doesn't seem like she ever will.

And I totally agree with indian_yuppies last line. An indian wins a bronze medal @ the olympics and the adulation he recieves is more than what the gold winner gets!

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home